This summer, Mr. Griffiths and the 13 Ways website released 150 Small Things that Can Make a Difference in your Community, a challenge in honour of Canada's 150th birthday.
For example, numbers 1-5 include:
- Take a walk, don't drive, through your community. Seeing things in slow motion allows you to see the details of community life.
- Mow the grass for someone who can’t …. or for anyone, just because.
- Pick one spot in town and volunteer to plant some flowers there.
- Go watch kids playing sports even though you don’t have any kids playing. Cheer them on. Take some friends.
- Volunteer. Anywhere. It doesn’t matter where. Just do it.
These are just five of 150 small things that can make a difference around your community. As Mr. Griffiths points out, it's important to remember that the small things really do matter, and we all have a role to play in making sure they happen.